- (1) University of Copenhagen, grid.5254.6, KU
- (2) University of Melbourne, grid.1008.9
- (3) Federal University of Pelotas, grid.411221.5
- (4) Dept. of Biomedical Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Panum Institute, Blegdamsvej 3, DK-2200, Copenhagen, Denmark. email@example.com and Seleno Therapeutics Pty. Ltd, Brighton East, Victoria 3187, Australia. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- (5) Seleno Therapeutics Pty. Ltd, Brighton East, Victoria 3187, Australia. email@example.com.
Novel stable tellurium-containing carbohydrate derivatives are prepared from hexitols and pentitols through a double nucleophilic substitution with NaHTe in PEG-400. These tellurosugars react at very high rates with two-electron oxidants, including hypochlorous and peroxynitrous acid, formed at sites of inflammation, and show considerable promise as protective agents against oxidative damage.