- (1) Norwegian University of Science and Technology, grid.5947.f
- (2) Odense University Hospital, grid.7143.1, Southern Denmark Region
- (3) Department of Hematology, Rigshospitalet, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
- (4) Skåne University Hospital, grid.411843.b
- (5) St Olav's University Hospital, grid.52522.32
Chemerin is a recently discovered adipokine shown to be involved in both inflammatory and metabolic processes. Here, we demonstrate that chemerin serum levels are elevated in patients with multiple myeloma and that it increases with disease progression. We found that chemerin is expressed by stromal cells and preadipocytes, whereas its receptor CCRL2 is expressed by primary myeloma cells, suggesting a paracrine signaling loop between bone marrow stromal cells/adipocytes and myeloma cells. This is the first study exploring chemerin and its receptors in multiple myeloma.